Hopefully everyone had a wonderful and successful open enrollment period (AEP). Of course the biggest challenge during AEP is to reach out to our current clients and make sure that they are on the right track for 2022. In addition, I find that there are two other big challenges:
1) Getting to know the products and their changes "on the run" and understanding which plans are best suited for certain kinds of clients.
2) Making sure that we continue to enroll new clients, and grow our business.
We all have certain proven ways that we study and memorize the products and their features, so I'm not going to comment too much on that area. However, this is the perfect time to go back and contact our clients and review with them what may be different in 2022. It's also a great time to call new clients and make sure that they understand their product.
Some brief things to include in that conversation would include:
- any pharmacy or drug tier changes? Rx deductibles?
- have copays changed for the primary or specialist visits?
- any enhanced "ancillary" benefits been added or modified?
- The toll free phone number for customer service and/or claims
By making these calls and "cementing" our relationships, we are laying the groundwork to grow our business. The Medicare market is a great place to get referrals. Your actions will speak for themselves, and if your clients see that you are genuinely concerned about their well-being, the referrals will start rolling in. So, pick up the phone, or shoot an email and explain a new benefit or just simply say "thanks" for being a loyal customer.
Have a great 2022!